Don Elijio Panti, one of the last Mayan Shaman to practice in the 21st century, believed that a woman’s center is her uterus. Rosita Arvigo, an American naprapath, lived and studied with Don Elijio for 10 years in the rainforest of Belize and integrated his ancient knowledge with her modern training and developed the Arvigo Techniques of Maya Abdominal Massage (ATMAM).
Our Los Angeles chiropractor, Dr. Christine Anderson, learned about ATMAM when a patient developed a prolapsed uterus after her second vaginal delivery. She saw the benefits the massage could have on women’s health and not long after, she was headed to Belize to learn ATMAM from Rosita. Dr. Anderson is continually amazed how such a simple technique can have such profound effects. She has seen that a properly placed uterus is definitely central to a happy, healthy, fully functioning hormonal system and when it is out of its normal position, it may cause problems, such as:
- Painful or Irregular Periods
- Bladder and Yeast Infections
- Infertility and Miscarriages
- Breech Presentation and Problematic Pregnancies, Labor & Delivery
- Endometriosis and abnormal Uterine Bleeding
- Perimenopause & Menopausal symptoms
- PMS, PMDD, and Depression with menstruation
- Ovarian cysts and Uterine Fibroids
- Prolapse of Bladder, Rectum, or Uterus
During the abdominal massage, once the uterus has been aligned, any tightness of the diaphragm is released to ensure proper circulation into the abdominal and pelvic cavity. For this reason, ATMAM may also help anyone with digestive disorders and problems related to the respiratory system. Relaxation of the diaphragm may help women, men, and children with:
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
- Gastro Esophogeal Reflux (GERD) and Excessive Spitting Up in babies
- Crohn’s Disease & Gastritis
- Indigestion and Heartburn
- Low Back Pain
- Migraines (especially those that are related to hormones)
- Low energy
- Restricted Breathing and Shortness of Breath
- Anxiety and Panic Attacks
You may receive ATMAM solely or in addition to your chiropractic care. On the first visit, a comprehensive history will be taken to ensure that you are a candidate for ATMAM. The Maya Abdominal Massage is not performed during menses, the first trimester of pregnancy or after ovulation if you are trying to conceive. In addition to receiving the ATMAM, you will also be taught self care massage techniques for your uterus and diaphragm to perform at home on a regular basis (except for those time periods listed above). You will be fully clothed during your massage so wear pants that are flexible, loose fitting and without zippers (yoga type pants work well).
Dr. Anderson recommends a commitment of at least 2 sessions of ATMAM so that she may review your self care technique and help with any fine tuning that is necessary on the second visit. The frequency of your ATMAM sessions will depend on your goals and problems; Dr. Anderson will be able to recommend a course of treatment suited to your needs after completing your history and first session of ATMAM.
For those who are trying to get pregnant, Dr. Anderson prefers to work with you for 3 months prior to you trying to conceive. This is due to the fact that you will be unable to perform ATMAM after ovulation if you are actively pursuing pregnancy. This time period also gives the body ample time to regulate hormones and achieve greater balance for better success.
As part of her Professional Training in ATMAM, Dr. Anderson also offers guidance in:
- Application of Castor Oil Packs
- The use of a “Faja” or Uterine Support Wrap
- “Bajos” or Maya Vaginal Steam Bath
- Mayan Rainforest Remedies brought back from Belize
- Nutritional and Lifestyle Recommendation